Last month, Archana baked an AMAZING carrot cake for a friend using her mother’s recipe. We have been waiting for Father’s Day to recreate it for our family. Our brother-in-law LOVES carrot cake and our dad likes anything that isn’t chocolate. Rather than making a traditional carrot cake, we thought it would be fun to SUIT UP our cake in honor of Father’s Day.
This is a rather easy cake to replicate. Just bake a sheet cake, use decorating tips to draw the tie and shell border. And viola, you will have your own tie cake. We showed the cake to Dylan, and asked him who wears a tie to work, and of course he said daddy and grandpa.
Follow the directions on the original carrot cake post and make the following adjustments:
- Line a 9X13 pan with parchment paper (this is a moist cake, so the parchment paper helps prevent the cake from sticking to the pan)
- Bake the cake for 30 minutes until toothpick comes out clean
- Use the Kitchen-Aid Rotor Slicer/Shredder Attachment to shred the carrots
- Decorate with Toba Garrett buttercream
- Skip the second cup of walnuts used to decorate the sides of the traditional carrot cake
- Use Wilton tip 8 to draw the tie on the sheet cake
- Use Wilton tip 21 to create a shell border
- Use white chocolate chips to create the polka dot pattern on the tie
We helped Dylan make adorable paper shirt and tie presents for his father and grandfathers. They were easy to make and matched the style of our cake too.
XOXO Archana & Kanchana
“My father gave me the greatest gift anyone could give another person, he believed in me.”––Jim Valvano
Adapted from Pat Loomis
Recipes From This Post
Decorator’s Buttercream Frosting: Toba Garrett
Shop This Post
Stand Mixer: Kitchen Aid Tilt Head; Kitchen Aid Bowl Lift (we prefer the bowl lift model, but it’s more expensive)
Roter Slicer/Shredder Attachment: Kitchen Aid Attachment; Kitchen Aid Attachment Pack; Kitchen Aid Attachment Pack (we bought this attachment which came with a grinder and fruit/veggie strainer, for us it was a better value than just buying the standalone roter slicer/shredder attachment)
Cupcake Carrier: Wilton (includes cupcake and mini-cupcake pans)