Let me tikka look. This week, we recreated one of our favorite Indian dishes, Chicken Tikka Masala but swapped the chicken with Tofu. This Tofu Tikka Masala recipe is flavorful and slow cooked for 6 hours. We air-fried the tofu and then slow cooked all the ingredients for 6 hours. This recipe is so yummy that you won’t even miss the chicken. We are excited to share this Tofu Tikka Masala recipe with you.
Tofu Tikka Masala Recipe: Ingredients
Tofu is a great option for Meatless Mondays or if you are going vegetarian for the day or week. In the past, we prepared Pumpkin Curry with Tofu and Red Curry with Tofu. Since it’s Diwali week, we decided to make a Tofu Tikka Masala recipe. Tikka refers to a protein in an Indian dish usually it’s a boneless, marinated piece of chicken that’s cooked in a tandoor oven. Tikka masala refers to an Indian curry consisting of a protein cooked in a creamy, spiced tomato sauce. We cooked with Mori-Nu Silken Tofu.
This Tofu Tikka Masala recipe uses several flavorful Indian spices. We air fried the tofu and then cooked it in a slow cooker for 6 hours. The crispy cubes of tofu and creamy, spiced curry sauce are a match made in heaven. We used Greek yogurt and butter, but you can make some substitutions to make this Tofu Tikka Masala recipe vegan (use vegan butter and vegan yogurt). Skip Indian take-out and make this Tofu Tikka Masala recipe. The tofu absorbs the flavor of the tikka sauce.
Tofu Tikka Masala Recipe: Tips
- Tofu: Use extra-firm tofu, press and drain liquid, cut into cubes and air-fry for 20 minutes. The air-fryer helps keep the tofu from crumbling in the slow cooker
- Yogurt: We use Greek yogurt for extra protein
- Spices: We recommend getting these spices from an Indian grocery store. We used a blend of cumin, coriander, garam masala, turmeric.
- Ginger garlic paste: Blend fresh garlic and ginger into a paste. You can make this in advance and refrigerate it
Tofu Tikka Masala Recipe: Instructions
The slow cooker helps develop the tikka masala flavor so you don’t have to marinate the tofu in advance. We added butter to the slow cooker and then sauté the chopped onions and chilies. The we added the spices and cooked them for five minutes. Then we added the remaining ingredients and slow cooked for 6 hours. This Tofu Tikka Masala is rich and flavorful, and the slow cooker does most of the work for you.
We served the Tofu Tikka Masala with quinoa and naan. This gourmet, restaurant style recipe has authentic Indian flavors with a vegetarian twist. It’s tangy, spicy, creamy and so much more.
Tofu Tikka Masala
- 24.6 Ounces Mori-Nu Silken Tofu Extra Firm (2 Packs)
- 1 Onion
- 1 Serrano Chili
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 2 Tsp Cumin
- 2 Tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 2 Tsp Garam Masala
- 2 Tsp Coriander
- 1 Tsp Turmeric
- 1 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Tsp Cayenne
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 28 Oz Crushed Tomatoes
- 1/4 Cup Almond Flour
- 1 Cup Greek Yogurt
- Quinoa and Naan
- Wrap the Tofu in several clean paper towels and allow excess liquid to drain
- Cube the Mori-Nu Silken Tofu and air-fry at 400°F for 20 minutes (flip half way)
- Dice the onion and slice the serrano chili
- Add butter to slow cooker
- After butter is melted, add diced onion and sliced serrano chili
- Add spices: cumin, ginger garlic paste, garam masala, coriander, turmeric, black pepper, cayenne and salt and stir
- Let the spices and onion mixture cook for 5 minutes and then add the crushed tomatoes, almond flour and Greek yogurt
- Add the Mori-Nu Tofu and slow cook for 4-6 hours (or high for 2-3 hours)
- Serve with quinoa and garlic naan
- Garnish with cilantro