Seasonal, ingredient based dinners are a quick and easy way to create a memorable dining experience. This week, we added a burst of tropical brightness with some mango madness. The juicy sweetness of mangoes pair nicely with not so traditional ingredients to create unique, savory dishes. We are excited to share it takes two to mango with you.
Mango season is all year long in the United States, but specific varietals of mangoes are only available for certain months of the year. Mangos aren’t just for breakfast in smoothies or sliced and eaten as a healthy snack. Mangos are great in savory dishes, pairing nicely with proteins and adding balance to spicy dishes.
Mango varieties include:
- Honey: sweet and creamy | high flesh to seed ratio | smooth, firm flesh | vibrant yellow color | small, flattened oval shape | sourced from Mexico, Ecuador and Peru
- Francis: rich, spicy and sweet | soft, juicy flesh | bright yellow skin with green overtones | oblong shape | sourced from Haiti
- Hoden: rich, with aromatic overtones | firm flesh | Bright red color with green and yellow overtones and small white dots | medium to large with an oval to round shape | sourced from Mexico, Ecuador and Peru
- Keitt: sweet and fruity | firm, juicy flesh | dark to medium green | large oval shape | sourced from Mexico, Nicaragua, Guatemala and Puerto Rico
- Kent: sweet and rich | juicy, tender flesh | dark green with a small dark red blush spot | large oval shape | sourced from Mexico, Ecuador and Peru
- Tommy Atkins: mildly sweet | dark red blush color with green and orange-yellow accents | long shelf life | easy to transport without bruising | sourced from Mexico, Guatemala, Brazil, Ecuador and Peru
We love cooking from scratch, but sometimes buying pre-made or frozen appetizers or desserts can save you time while you focus on the main. We started with mango, goat cheese and avocado toasts. We added some dried mango and topped everything with fresh cilantro.
We spent most of the time preparing the main – turkey burgers with mango salsa. You can make the salsa from scratch or save some time by using pre-made salsa. We served the burgers on ciabatta and topped with more goat cheese and avocado.
We concluded our meal with mango coconut spring rolls, mango mochi and dried mango. Mango and rich coconut milk are a match made in fried dessert heaven. Mochi is a small, round Japanese confection made with soft, pounded sticky rice and an ice cream filling.
We loved incorporating mango into a single ingredient dinner party. For more seasonal spring ideas, check out the list of fruit and veggies below.
Asparagus | Broccoli Rabe | Carrots | Cauliflower | Fava Beans | Fennel | Green Garlic | Peas | Spinach
Avocado | Grapefruit | Meyer Lemon | Mango | Orange | Pineapple | Rhubarb | Strawberry
Courgettes | New Beetroots | Peppers | Potatoes | Sweet Corn | Tomatoes | Artichokes | Asparagus | Broccoli | Carrots | Cauliflower | Fava beans | Fennel | Leeks | Kale | Peas
Apricot | Avocado | Blackberry | Blueberry | Cherry | Mango | Raspberry | Rhubarb | Strawberry
“When life gives you lemons, throw it back and say I wanted a mango” ––Anonymous
I sent my sister to this post. She is a mango lover. We had no idea there were so many different types of mangos??? Amy Abeerasturi capturingcash.com
Wow, I didn’t know there were so many different kinds of mangoes! Yum, I will have to try this!
I love mangoes. Can try anything if it has mongoes in it. Thank you so much for this recipe, I am definitely giving it a try.
I never knew there were so many different kinds of mango! Definitely trying some of these recipes!
i have all the ingredients readily available in my kitchen now!!! This is for my midnight snackkkk! YUMMMMM!
I’ve never trued mango but I need to ! This looks delicious!
I had no idea there were different types of mangos, lol I’ll definitely have to figure out which ones the best,
Just learnt about different types of mangoes and yes I love it. All this looks delicious and yummy.
Oh wow, I really love mangoes but never heard of is varieties. I love those coming from Guimaras Island in the Philippines.
OMG, Can I just say, I can’t help but drool over the picture! I love mangoes and actually looking to some varieties to try.
Mangoes is one of my favourites. I just love it. We have so many different types here in Jamaica.
So many varieties of mangoes! I am a mango lover. Definitely trying some of these recipes!
woooh, i man is one of my best though end up complaining after consumption because my teeth are not happy with me after that thanks for sharing
I am a huge mango lover so this post was an enjoyable read for me. Thanks for all the tasty ideas.
Love your creative blog title. I love everything mango and learnt something new today in terms of the kinds available!
Thanks for sharing this nice post on mangoes, which is one of my favorite fruits of summer.
Yum! I love mangos, and all of these recipes look delicious!