Memorial Day marks the unofficial start of summer in the U.S. Many of us spend the weekend grilling or heading to the beach. We hosted a rooftop barbecue and sipped on Winc wines throughout the afternoon. We are excited to share our weekend with you.
Wine is a personal experience. We prefer white and rosé wine in the spring and summer and red in the fall and winter. With Winc, you don’t need to be a sommelier to drink wine that you love. Winc is a monthly personalized wine club, founded in 2012 by Xander Oxman and Geoff McFarlane. Winc curates over one hundred wines, and makes it easy for members to receive delicious, affordable wines personalized to their tastes. Each 4-bottle shipment includes tasting notes to help you track the varietals and flavors you like.
To receive your high quality selection of vino without ever stepping out of your house:
- Take a quick online quiz to receive your personalized wine recommendations
- Select your preferred mix of red, white, rosé and/or sparkling wines
- Override recommendations to make your own wine selections at any time
- Choose the Wines Featured tier, which includes vino from $13+ per bottle or upgrade to the Winc Select tier, which includes the premium wines (we prefer the Winc Select tier).
- Rate the wines to receive better recommendations going forward
- Skip a month whenever you want
- Reach out to Winc if you don’t like any of the wines, and they will credit your account
- 2017 Finke’s Sparkling White Blend
- 2016 Selected Works Chardonnay
- 2016 Selected Works Pinot Noir
- 2016 DIME Red Blend
For outdoor parties, we highly recommend melamine and galvanized metal tableware, platters and trays. We added a burst of red to our chic tablescape with Q Squared’s appetizer and dinner plates. We rounded out the table decor with Pottery Barn’s napkin holder, condiment & tray set and flatware caddy.
Our floral centerpiece featured mini white gerber daisy, red anthurium, white orchid, green trachelium and red and white roses.
We kept the appetizers for the barbecue fairly simple with a three tiered platter of fresh raspberries, strawberries and apples, white tortilla chips with homemade guacamole and blueberries.
We kicked off the festivities with Finke’s Sparkling White. This blend of Chenin Blanc and Chardonnay is a bright, crisp bubbly from California. It is light and dry with notes of apple, honeysuckle, lemon and pineapple. We added some Memorial Day flair with raspberry and blueberry garnishes.
Next we sipped on The Selected Works Chardonnay. This white wine has vibrant fruit flavors of pineapple, peach and lemon. This wine is medium bodied, dry and unoaked.
Guests had their choice of beef, turkey or veggie burgers.
Next, we sipped The Selected Works Pinot Noir. This medium bodied and dry wine paired well with the burgers.
For dessert, we feasted on Maison Kayser’s The Cardinal cake. This delicious raspberry mousse cake has a vanilla creme brulee center, raspberry biscuit and a raspberry glaze. We also served a star spangled strawberry rhubarb pie. We enjoyed dessert with a glass of the DIME Red Blend.
True patriotism isn’t cheap. It’s about taking on a fair share of the burden of keeping America going. Robert Reich