You bake the world a butter place! We are spending more and more time in the kitchen these days. Home cooking and baking has become a way to not only feed yourself, but also a way to pass the time. Today, we are sharing a recipe for triple berry crumble bars. These treats are perfect for Memorial Day, July 4th or any day during quarantine. Now, let’s get to the whisky business!
With the right tools, baking from scratch can be a breeze. We recommend keeping pantry staples like flour, sugar, baking powder and salt on hand so that you can bake whenever you have some free time. We also recommend a Prepdeck and the Kitchen-Aid Stand Mixer.
Prepdeck is an all-in-one kitchen tool with a cutting board, 15 storage containers, a garbage compartment and a side drawer for a mandolin, juicer and grater. The cutting board is detachable for easy cleaning and when you aren’t using the Prepdeck, you can fold up the cutting board and transform the Prepdeck into a beautiful contained marble box. There’s also a stand for a tablet or mobile device. We filled our Prepdeck with all of the ingredients.
Since it’s Memorial Day weekend, we wanted to make a patriotic dessert. But don’t worry, you can make these flavorful treats anytime this summer. These bars are also easy to store and when quarantine is over, you can pack them up and eat them on the go.
Lemon juice and zest add a burst of citrus and complement the berries.
Some crumble bar recipes use different ingredients for the crust and the topping, but this recipe has a baking hack. The buttery, lemon dough is used for both the crust and the topping. You can also use any berry for this recipe, either a single berry flavor or mixed berries. We used strawberries, blueberries and raspberries. We used tapioca starch to thicken the berries, but you can also use cornstarch.
Some tips to get the perfect bar:
- Line your baking pan with parchment paper and use a cooking spray
- Use a lemon zester to grate the lemon
- Chill in the fridge before cutting for cleaner slices
So go ahead and bake someone happy (it can even be yourself!). These bars are bursting with summer flavor. Make them this weekend for Memorial Day or save them for July 4th or any day this summer.
Mixed Berry Crumble Bars
Crust and Topping:
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 3 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1 Zest of Lemon
- 1 Cup Butter
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 4 1/2 Cups Chopped Fresh Berries
- 1/4 Cups Granulated Sugar
- 4 Tsp Tapioca Starch
- 1 Lemon
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9×13 pan with parchment paper, and coat with non-stick spray.
- For the crust and topping: Using a Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer with the paddle attachment, combine granulated sugar, baking powder, flour and salt. Add lemon zest, butter, egg and vanilla. Beat on low speed until the butter is evenly distributed in small pieces and the mixture is crumbly. Press 2/3 of the mixture into the bottom of the pan. We used a rolling pin to evenly press the dough into the pan.
- For the filling: Gently stir together all ingredients until well incorporated.
- Spread the filling over the crust, then crumble the remaining dough over the top of the berries.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes, until the top is light golden brown. Transfer pan to rack to cool, before cutting into squares.
If baking is any labor at all, it’s a labor of love. A love that gets passed from generation to generation.Regina Brett