Seasonal, ingredient based dinners are a quick and easy way to create a memorable dining experience. This week, we added a burst of tropical brightness with some mango madness. The juicy sweetness of mangoes pair nicely with not so traditional ingredients to create unique, savory dishes. We are excited to share it takes two to mango with you.
Mango season is all year long in the United States, but specific varietals of mangoes are only available for certain months of the year. Mangos aren’t just for breakfast in smoothies or sliced and eaten as a healthy snack. Mangos are great in savory dishes, pairing nicely with proteins and adding balance to spicy dishes.
Mango varieties include:
- Honey: sweet and creamy | high flesh to seed ratio | smooth, firm flesh | vibrant yellow color | small, flattened oval shape | sourced from Mexico, Ecuador and Peru
- Francis: rich, spicy and sweet | soft, juicy flesh | bright yellow skin with green overtones | oblong shape | sourced from Haiti
- Hoden: rich, with aromatic overtones | firm flesh | Bright red color with green and yellow overtones and small white dots | medium to large with an oval to round shape | sourced from Mexico, Ecuador and Peru
- Keitt: sweet and fruity | firm, juicy flesh | dark to medium green | large oval shape | sourced from Mexico, Nicaragua, Guatemala and Puerto Rico
- Kent: sweet and rich | juicy, tender flesh | dark green with a small dark red blush spot | large oval shape | sourced from Mexico, Ecuador and Peru
- Tommy Atkins: mildly sweet | dark red blush color with green and orange-yellow accents | long shelf life | easy to transport without bruising | sourced from Mexico, Guatemala, Brazil, Ecuador and Peru
We love cooking from scratch, but sometimes buying pre-made or frozen appetizers or desserts can save you time while you focus on the main. We started with mango, goat cheese and avocado toasts. We added some dried mango and topped everything with fresh cilantro.
We spent most of the time preparing the main – turkey burgers with mango salsa. You can make the salsa from scratch or save some time by using pre-made salsa. We served the burgers on ciabatta and topped with more goat cheese and avocado.
We concluded our meal with mango coconut spring rolls, mango mochi and dried mango. Mango and rich coconut milk are a match made in fried dessert heaven. Mochi is a small, round Japanese confection made with soft, pounded sticky rice and an ice cream filling.
We loved incorporating mango into a single ingredient dinner party. For more seasonal spring ideas, check out the list of fruit and veggies below.
Asparagus | Broccoli Rabe | Carrots | Cauliflower | Fava Beans | Fennel | Green Garlic | Peas | Spinach
Avocado | Grapefruit | Meyer Lemon | Mango | Orange | Pineapple | Rhubarb | Strawberry
Courgettes | New Beetroots | Peppers | Potatoes | Sweet Corn | Tomatoes | Artichokes | Asparagus | Broccoli | Carrots | Cauliflower | Fava beans | Fennel | Leeks | Kale | Peas
Apricot | Avocado | Blackberry | Blueberry | Cherry | Mango | Raspberry | Rhubarb | Strawberry
“When life gives you lemons, throw it back and say I wanted a mango” ––Anonymous