Wanderlust and city dust. New York City might be a little quieter these days. But “these streets will make you feel brand new… big lights will inspire you.” Outdoor dining is a way to catch up with friends while abiding by COVID-19 guidelines. Many NYC restaurants created lush outdoor dining. This weekend, we stepped into a tropical oasis at Scarpetta. We are excited to share our dining experience with you.
Scarpetta is conveniently in the James Hotel in NoMad. At the entrance is a beautiful backdrop with Mediterranean inspired pink florals and green ivy. This bustling city street along Madison Avenue was transformed into a beautiful mini garden, filled with rosé colored umbrellas, luscious greenery and twinkling lights.
Outdoor Dining in NYC
Scarpetta opens at 4:00PM and has an Aperitivo special until 5:30PM daily. It’s a happy hour with an Italian flair, including Italian bites, cocktails and wine. We started with Whispering Angel Rosé.
What to Order During Aperitivo?
Our Cicchetti bites included:
- Mozzarella in Carozza: The fresh mozzarella is fried with crispy breadcrumbs; Scarpetta elevates the traditional mozzarella stick into a bite of cheesy heaven
- Shishito Peppers: Peppers prepared with a delicious roasted fennel aioli
- Tuna Tartare: Mouthwatering fresh tuna served on a crispy chip
We recommend ordering a variety of Cicchetti bites for the table and sharing.
What to Order for Dinner?
We ordered a mix of Crudi (uncooked) and Verdure (vegetables) including:
- Tuna Susci: Resembles sushi with preserved truffle, carrot, pickled mushroom- our favorite
- Beet Salad: Bright summer salad with vibrant colors
- Charred Asparagus: delicious asparagus with a fresh vinaigrette
Don’t forget that the world looks better through Rosé colored glasses. Of course, we sipped on more Whispering Angel!
If you are on a low-carb or gluten free diet, forget about that today because you must order the pasta at Scarpetta. We ordered:
- Spaghetti: Yes, it just has tomato and basil, but it is absolutely divine
- Doppio: Ravioli with fresh ricotta and peas
- Tagliatelle: Served with fresh blue crab
We concluded our meal with a mix of fruit and chocolate desserts:
- Dulce Cheesecake: Our favorite; it comes with a peach sorbet
- Strawberries and Cream: Sweet berries with fresh whipped cream
- Espresso Budino: Pudding with salted caramel, chocolate biscotti, hazelnut gelato. If you like coffee flavored desserts, you will love this one
You can also order take-out and these adorable mini Whispering Angel bottles to go from Scarpetta. These bottles are a perfect companion for an outdoor picnic.
New York is always a good idea. This summer, stay in New York or come for a visit and check out outdoor dining at Scarpetta. It’s a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
New York is not a city – it’s a world.Iman